Did someone say hidden veggies? This recipe has soooooo many vegetables in it!
Yields 4-6 portions depending on your appetite!
Head of cauliflower, cut into florets
2 medium potatoes, peeled cut into chunks
2 tablespoons vegan butter (I use Buttery Nuttelex)
Salt and pepper to taste
4 whole garlic cloves peeled
1 cup of dry French lentils, placed in bowl covered with boiling water while you’re dicing the vegetables drain when you are ready to use them (this speeds up the cooking process)
1 medium onion, diced
2 medium carrots, diced
1 zucchini, diced
200g of mushrooms, diced
2 cups of baby spinach
1 cup of passata or can of tomatoes
Additional water if needed
Chilli flakes – add a lot or a little, my little ones love chilli so go wild!!
3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- For the mash, preheat oven to 190 degrees Celsius / 375 degrees Fahrenheit
- Place cauliflower and potatoes on a line baking tray drizzling olive oil to cover and bake for 20-25 minutes
- Place carrots, olive oil and rosemary on lined tray and cook for 15-20 minutes while the cauliflower is cooking
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil over a medium heat in a large heavy based fry pan adding cloves of garlic until the colour starts to turn. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Reduce heat to low and add onion and cook until translucent
- Add the carrots, zucchini and mushrooms and stir for about 3-5 minutes – you may need to add some water to help the cooking process along
- Add drained lentils, stock and passata and cook for 25-30 minutes stirring occasionally or until the lentils are al dente
- Add baby spinach, some more water and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes until the lentils are cooked
- While that’s cooking, the cauliflower should have cooled enough. Place cauliflower, potatoes, Nuttelex and soy milk into food processor and blend until to desired consistency is achieved adding more soy milk if necessary
- Serve lentils, mash and carrots and enjoy!
Works out at about $2 per serve!
TIP! This recipe tastes delicious the next day too, if reheating, add a dash of water so the lentils don’t dry out!