If you haven’t noticed by now, I love cauliflower.
I make this all the time for my family and it’s so easy and so cheap! I am obsessed with sumac too and it really lifts this dish, it can easily be substituted for zaatar or dried oregano.
Olive oil (about 2 tablespoons)
1 cup of long grain rice
1 can of brown lentils
2 cups of veggie stock
3-4 Garlic cloves, washed and peeled
Small cauliflower, cut into small florets
More olive oil
1 tablespoon of vegan butter
Optional fresh parsley (I got mine from my veggie patch)
Optional coconut yogurt (I use the Nakula natural flavour)
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees Celsius /375 degrees Fahrenheit
- Place cauliflower on a lined tray, drizzle with oil and dust generously with sumac, cook for 15-20 minutes (time will vary depending on how small the florets are cut)
- Heat a generous amount of olive oil over a medium heat in a large heavy based fry pan adding cloves of garlic until the colour starts to turn. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add onion and stir until translucent
- Add rice, stir until it’s coated in the oil and onions
- Add can of lentils (no need to drain) and stock, stir and cover with saucepan lid and cook for about 12-15 minutes, until the rice is cooked, you may need to stir a few times.
- Stir through vegan butter to coat the rice (trust me!!)
- Serve rice with cauliflower, yogurt and parsley
This dish is seriously CHEAP.
Works out at about $1 a serve, plus there is usually left overs for lunch!
If you do reheat, make sure you add a dash of water so the rice doesn’t dry out.