Roast pumpkin, leek and kale sausage rolls
An instant crowd pleaser and ultra-convenient function fare, the humble sausage roll sticks in the memory of any kid who attended a party in the 90s.
Since becoming vegan, I have missed them terribly!
This is a healthier adaptation of the traditional version, packed full of hidden veggies. The pumpkin’s sweetness offsets the bitterness of the kale and they complement each other really nicely!
Walnuts are optional, but give them a consistency that makes them really nice to bite into.
My toddlers go crazy for them, I am hoping you do too!
250g kent pumpkin, diced
1 large leek, trimmed, finely sliced
2 carrots, peeled and grated
3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 cups of baby kale, roughly chopped
¼ cup water
½ cup walnuts, roughly chopped
½ cup hemp seeds
2 sheets of puff pastry
About ¼ cup soy milk (to brush)
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees Celsius / 375 Fahrenheit
- Place pumpkin on lined baking tray and drizzle with olive oil, bake for 20 minutes or until it can easily be mashed
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, add oil, leeks and garlic and cook over a medium heat (adding water if required)
- Stir until the leek becomes aromatic
- Add grated carrot, kale, hemp seeds and more water and stir through
- Remove from heat and place in a bowl, adding walnuts
- By this time, your pumpkin should be ready
- Using a fork, roughly mash the pumpkin and add to the other ingredients, stirring until combined
- Cut puff pastry in half, adding mixture down the centre of each half, about 2 cm thick so they don’t overflow
- Brush both sides of the pastry with soy milk (this will make the sausage rolls stick together (as shown)
- Carefully roll the cut side in and use the plastic from the puff pastry sheet to guide the other half. Repeat until you have 4 long “sausage rolls”
- Cut each into 4 even pieces, not to worry if they aren’t all exact
- Place each piece on a lined tray, brushing with more soy milk and sprinkiling with sesame seeds
- Bake for around 18-20 minutes until they start to turn golden
- Allow to cool before serving!