Spring is officially here! Ok, well officially Spring started a couple of weeks ago, but the weather has finally sorted itself out and the wind has gone!
Completely different to the chocolate cake I made for hubby’s dad, I made this to take to my parents for afternoon tea, especially if you aren’t so much of a sweet tooth like my dad and I.
It’s surprisingly moist and goes perfectly with a spring cocktail or a cup of tea.
1 cup plain flour
1 cup of coconut flour
½ teaspoon of baking powder
1 teaspoon of salt
½ cup coconut sugar (brown sugar will work fine)
Juice and rind of 1 lemon
½ cup of coconut yogurt (I’ve used the Nakula brand)
½ cup of coconut oil, melted
1 cup of almond milk (I have used the Inside Out brand)
Slices of citrus of your choice – I have used oranges and grapefruits
Coconut oil spray
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius / 355 degrees fahrenheit
- Spray a bread loaf or cake pan with coconut spray
- Place sliced citrus decoratively on bottom of the pan, set aside
- Combine all of the dry ingredients in a large bowl and stir until combined
- In another medium bowl, mix wet ingredients together until combined, add to dry ingredients and stir until combined (the batter should be quite thick)
- Pour into pan and use the back of a spatula or your fingers to even out the mixture.
- Bake for 26-30 minutes (this will vary depending on the size of the tray you have used and your oven)
- Remove and carefully turn out on to wire tray, sprinkle with additional coconut or brown sugar while it’s still hot (it will dissolve nicely)
- Serve while warm by itself, with more yogurt or a scoop of vanilla ice cream 😊