Coconut, cocoa and chia seed pancakes
Breakfast time at our house is chaos, especially when the toddlers are teething, something they will always eat are pancakes!
This recipe yields 6-8 pancakes, which my two chowed down.
Each serving (3-4 pancakes) has around 25g of chia seeds in them which equals around 8 grams of fat, 12 grams of carbohydrate, over 10 grams of fibre and 5 grams of protein.
They take about 2 minutes to make and another 6-8 minutes to cook and can be made easily with older kids helping.
1 cup of regular flour
½ cup desiccated coconut
1/3 cup of chia seeds
1 tablespoon of cocoa powder
½ teaspoon of salt
½ teaspoon of baking powder (this well help the pancakes to get fluffy)
½ teaspoon of cinnamon
1 cup coconut milk (or any other vegan milk, I love the taste of coconut milk)
1 tablespoon of maple syrup
2 tablespoons of Orgran egg replacer (mixed with 4 tablespoons of water, mixed well in separately in a medium bowl)
Blueberries to serve
Optional – maple syrup
- Mix all of the dry ingredients together in a large bowl until they are well combined
- In the bowl that has the egg replace, add maple syrup and coconut milk until combined
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix well
- In a medium non-stick fry pan over a low-medium heat, add about a teaspoon of vegan butter, allow to melt and then add pancake mixture (about 2 tablespoons per pancake).
- Cook for about 3-4 minutes each side, place on paper towel to allow to cool and serve with your favourite fruit and extra maple syrup if desired!