This recipe is seriously the tits.
I’ve made vegan bacon before using Shiitake mushrooms for pizzas and have always wanted to try with tofu.
When I was making tofu last week, I accidentally cut one of the slices too thin and after cooking, I remember eating it thinking, I need to make this into bacon!
If you’ve followed my Instagram, you know I cook tofu like this all the time, I just slice thicker and add a different marinade.
500g form tofu
Soy sauce to brush
2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1 tablespoons MCT oil or any other neutral oil
1 teaspoon liquid smoke
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1. Remove tofu from packaging, wrap in paper towel and place between two chopping boards or trays. Place something heavy on top and leave for an hour or so. This step is called pressing and is really important to remove excess water from the tofu as you will see when you wring the paper towel.
2. Once your tofu is pressed, slice into 5mm slice length ways and place on lined baking tray.
3. Preheat oven to 190 degrees Celsius
4. Brush strips of tofu with soy sauce (just one side) and place in oven for 10 minutes.
5. Remove from oven, flip over and brush the other side of the strips and bake for another 10 minutes,
6. While that’s cooking, place ingredients for marinade in a small bowl and mix until well combined.
7. Remove tofu from oven and turn grill function on high.
8. Brush the tofu with the marinade and place under the grill for 5-10 minutes, depending on your oven, keeping a close eye on it so it doesn’t burn.
Serve as desired, I’ve served with the Fry’s Family Chicken and Waffle recipe!