No-meat meatballs that are packed full of vegetables, protein and flavour.
Simple ingredients, limited kitchen equipment and quick to throw together.
I am constantly being asked how my two eat so many veggies.
Few tips that work for them:
- Mix it up!
Some days they will devour a certain vegetable and the next day they won’t eat it, so I always make sure I change up their veggies and retry veggies they refused previously. It’s so perplexing and frustrating, I wish I knew what was going through their brains!
- Grating is great!
The grater is always on hand so I can put (read hide) grated veggies in their pasta, muffins or risottos.
- Don’t be afraid of flavour!
I’ve found my two LOVE spices (including chilli) so don’t be afraid to give them what you’re eating or adding spices to their foods.
The no-meat meatballs are one of my favourite creations to date because they have so many vegetables in them, but are also packed with complex carbohydrates and dietary fibre, so it ticks all the boxes. These are great on their own or served with spaghetti and a tomato sauce to recreate spaghetti and meatballs!
1 can lentils, drained
3 button mushrooms, roughly chopped
Handful of fresh parsley
2 teaspoons of ground cumin
2 teaspoons of ground coriander
2 teaspoons of paprika
2 teaspoons of minced garlic
2 teaspoons of tamari
2 teaspoons of liquid smoke (optional, you could substitute for 2 teaspoons of beef stock powder)
1 medium sized carrot, finely grated
½ cup passata
½ pureed beetroot
1 ½ cups of cooked brown rice
1 cup panko bread crumbs
1 cup gluten free flour
- Place lentils, parsley, mushrooms, spices into a food processor and pulse until combined
- Turn into large bowl and fold through the other ingredients until well combined
- Roll into balls (about 2 tablespoons) and place in the fridge for 30 minutes to allow to bind
- When you are ready, preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius/390 degrees Fahrenheit
- Optional step: if you desire, you can pan fry in olive oil before placing in the oven to get them really crunchy
- Bake for 25-30 minutes
- Allow to cool before serving
Follow my instagram for more food @themotherofvegans