My favourite Thai curry I can finally eat again!
Massaman is by far my favourite Thai curry and I’ve missed it so much!
I was always going to make the dish without the meat, but when I had off cuts of king oyster mushrooms, I thought I’d throw them in. I’ve also used shiitake mushrooms which are really meaty too!
I’ve used store bought massaman paste I got from the supermarket in the Asian aisle, but you could make your own if you’re game.
Super easy and full of flavour!
My toddlers loved this, I’ve only used 1 chilli for the flavour, however you can use more depending on your spice threshold.
Who’s game to try it? Tag me in your posts! @themotherofvegans
1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
1 large onion, diced
3 tablespoon of Massaman paste
250g shiitake mushrooms (whole)
4 large potatoes, peels cut into large chunks
2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
400mls coconut milk
2 tablespoons tamarind paste
1 cup chicken stock (massel stock is vegan)
1 chilli, diced
2 bay leaves
1 clove garlic
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 tablespoon of vegan fish sauce
1/2 cup peanuts
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3 star anise pods
- Heat oil in a large pot (with a lid) and add onion, stir for a few minutes.
- Add Massaman curry paste and stir until aromatic, about 2-3 minutes
- Add Shiitake mushrooms and cook
- Add all of the other ingredients, stir well, bring to the boil
- Reduce heat and simmer for 30-45 minutes until potatoes are soft
- Serve with steamed rice and greens
Follow @themotherofvegans for more photos of my food x