Gluten free, dairy free, egg free and no added sugar – perfect afternoon snack the whole family can enjoy.
When I’m sad, I bake! When I’m happy, I also bake! Considering the news today (passing the YES vote, woohoo!), I decided to experiment!
My two toddlers’ appetites have increased significantly over the past few weeks and it’s really hard to keep up.
They are eating 5 meals a day; breakfast, morning tea, lunch, afternoon tea and dinner, so needed to find ways to make it less expensive and still get nutrients into them. I have to constantly think on my feet and create new things as they get bored really easily.
These muffins have all the fruit they were eating in the afternoon with the added carbs, yogurt and milk. They have no added sugar (the apple and coconut act as the sweetener) so they won’t be bouncing off the walls…hopefully!
My family Is in no way celiac, but I try and limit our gluten intake, especially when we like having seitan (mock meat which is really gluten heavy) here and there, so you could substitute for plain flour if that’s what you have at home!
I am so pleased these turned out so well and taste bloody go od! At least my afternoon tea is sorted if they don’t like them!
Like all baked goods, they are best served and enjoyed fresh but will last in an airtight container for up to 3-4 days if they are left in a cool spot on the bench or fridge.
1 cup gluten free flour
½ cup desiccated coconut
2 teaspoons of baking powder
2-3 ripe (blackish) bananas
2 granny smith apples, peeled and diced
½ teaspoon of vanilla bean paste (vanilla extract or essence would work too)
½ cup coconut yogurt
½ cup soy milk
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius /350 degrees Fahrenheit
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the dry ingredients
- In a separate bowl, mash ripe bananas well and then stir through coconut yogurt and vanilla paste
- Add banana mix to dry ingredients and stir until well combined
- Then stir through milk and apples
- Divide mixture into a greased muffin tray and cook for 25-30 minutes, depending on your oven*
- Allow to cool before serving and enjoy!
*I only have muffin pan that yields 6 muffins, so depending on the size of your muffin tray, the cook time may vary even more